Safe driving is all about being precautious. Every time you are on the road you risk getting involved in an accident. To avoid this you should do all what depends on you.
First of all, you should always drive according to weather and road conditions and adapt your speed accordingly. Secondly, your moves should be predictable to other road users. Always signal well in advance before changing lanes, check your blind spot, etc. Your actions must be predictable and foreseeable by other road users. Drive steadily, without sudden unexpected moves, unnecessary sharp braking. Always keep good safety distance to the vehicle in front, and in case of bad weather or bad road conditions increase your safe distance accordingly. Use defensive driving style at all times.
Always adjust your speed to the road conditions, weather and traffic situation. On motorways pay attention to the info boards - they may be warning of an accident ahead or slippery/windy road conditions, bad visibility, etc. Remember the basic rule regarding the choice of speed: you should drive with the speed, which will allow you to stop within the stretch of road you can see in front of you.
Defensive driving style implies that you:
- Never take risks
- Always drive with caution
- Keep sufficient safety distance
- Watch out for possible mistakes of other road users
- Plan your route in advance and allow yourself plenty of time
- Brake in good time, avoid harsh braking and accelerating
- Watch out for changing road conditions
- Drive according to weather conditions, reduce your speed when needed
- Keep an eye on the rear of your vehicle
- Do not obstruct the way of other road users
- Are extra cautious in the proximity of vulnerable road users such as children, elderly, disabled, cyclists and motorcyclists.